Tuesday, July 15, 2014

We're Still Alive

In case you were worried.
Duke is 3 weeks old today. It's hard to believe it has actually been that long.
We are working on getting a hang of having two kids now.
Robbie has seem to transition so easily, me not so much. It's been a little challenging for me.
I made the choice to breastfeed Duke, which I didn't do with Lia.
It has been extremely challenging for me.
Nursing definitely takes blood, sweat, and tears!!
It's just starting to become a little less painful. I can only hope that within the next couple of weeks, it will become mostly pain free.
He has an awesome latch and is growing and growing, as of Thursday he is 8lbs and 2oz, 20.5 inches long.
It definitely helps me put up with the "torturous pain" knowing that it isn't for nothing. I'm the sole reason he is growing and living and that's a gift.
Recovery is going fabulous, the first days of being home was still pretty brutal, lots of pain just everywhere. I cried a lot. I'd like to think it was the hormones {haha} but I was really just in pain and nursing was not at all how I expected it to be.
Although I am warming up to it now, nursing still does not seem natural to me.
Shoving an infant into eating from your breasts, it's just still weird.
I have a whole new respect for nursing mommas though. I had no idea how difficult it is.
It's not about being the only one to wake up with him at night, but that they rely on you for everything. It doesn't matter if your nipples are split open and bleeding, it doesn't matter if you are crying from the pain. Your baby needs to eat and that's what you're there for. You just have to suck it up.
It still hurts. Especially on my right side. He absolutely favors my left, and so do I. It doesn't hurt nearly as bad. I believe it's normal to feel a little used and abused in the first few weeks of your nursing your newborn. 
I'm probably bothering everyone with how much I "complain" about it but it's just a way to make me feel better. I guess I'm just open about the challenges I face.
 
I suppose you want an update of everything else that's been going on?
 
July 3rd, after his first bath at home. He hates bath time or anything that's at all cold.
It's pretty much the only time you will hear him cry other than me taking too long to feed him.
4th of July, Had a chill day at the pool and watched fireworks.
 
Lia changes her clothes a minimum of 5 times a day. She loves her fashions.
Duke just loves his sleep. He usually only wakes up once throughout the night
to eat. Duke's an awesome little man.
 
This last Thursday, Duke had his two week check up. Robbie left early to play basketball
and Lia woke up throwing up. I had to call Robbie to come home early to help out.
Duke also had to get circumcised that day. Needless to say, I was seriously exhausted.
Duke was so upset and inconsolable and Lia was throwing up.
Super hard day.
 
Last Friday night, my inlaws took Lia for the night and Robbie and I got to go on
a date!!! We went for sushi with Duke (who slept the whole time) and it was so nice!!
I love getting that time with just Robbie.

Duke on his 2 Week birthday

We are surviving and still loving life. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment