Thursday, October 9, 2014

It's just luck, I guess.

Sometimes I wonder how in the world my life turned out so great.
I know it's all thanks to my amazing husband.
I wish I could say I'm this amazing stay at home mom that you seem to believe every other mom is;
sadly, I'm just not.
I usually have some dirty dishes in the sink.
clean, wrinkly clothes in the laundry basket just waiting to be folded and put away..
I might get to them, then again, maybe that's a chore for next week. 
I should feel so guilty and ashamed about this... but no matter how hard I try, I just don't.
I came to the realization that although Robbie cares (a little too much) about how clean the house is and not having to go on a search for clean underwear daily..
My kids just don't care.
I realized, when they've grown up and look back to their childhood, they aren't going to remember those dishes in the sink, their unmade bed, or even those wrinkled clothes they pull out of their dresser drawers.
I'll tell you what they will remember.
They'll remember those afternoons of baking cookies and muffins.
They'll remember teaching me all about the letters and words they learned to spell at school.
They'll remember their mom watching them color sweet little drawings.
They'll remember playing hide and seek, reading stories, or decorating for the upcoming holiday.
They may even remember getting into trouble a time or two..
These are the things I want them to remember when they have grown.
I don't want them to look back and have a mom that was so caught up on her phone and house chores that didn't make them feel like they were important. You know?
 
Maybe that's silly... I still try to get the house cleaned, the laundry done.
I guess I just find it more important and more enjoyable to spend that time playing with my two special kids.
 
Every day they surprise me.
Duke rolled over for the first time today, from his belly to his back.
Lia also showed me a list of words and spelled them out to me....
They just don't stay little for long. Childhood just doesn't last.
I want to make it the best I can.
I don't mind going to the park or a special place to go and play.
I love the picnics we have during the warm (not so hot) weather on our front lawn.
I love taping all the amazing pictures Lia makes up on our pantry door in our kitchen.
 
Life is just passing us by.
I swear there are days that I just stare at both my kids.
FOR HOURS.
and hours.
Even sometimes when they are sleeping.
With Lia being just over 3.5 and writing, saying and sounding out letters in words like she's been doing it forever, even though she's only been in school for a little over a month.
With Duke just growing so big. Watching him learn all these new things and figuring the crazy world out...
I'm just so proud of them.
I don't really brag about my kids. I used to when Lia was a baby.. I think I would yell it to the world every time she would smile. hahaha.
I used to be so caught up in what other kids were doing and why she wasn't doing this or that...  thinking something must be wrong with her if she wasn't doing it yet. 
Well, now that I'm older and I know a thing or two about being a mom.
I just don't care.
All I care about is that they are happy and they will get to the rest when they are ready.
I'm just done with all the comparisons.
 
I just want this family to stay a happy one.
I know my kids won't get along all the time.
But they love each other so much right now, I just need to do everything I can to keep it that way for as long as possible.
For now, I'm just going to let it all be.
Let Lia draw her little heart out since that is her very favorite thing to do right now and I'll let Duke just stay my sweet little man for as long as I can.
I'm so much softer with him than I was with Lia, by a long shot.
I justify it with him being my last baby, so I might hold him a little too long sometimes. I might stare at him for a little too long.
 
man... I know I must be doing a lot of things wrong with these babies of mine.
But they sure do make me so happy and so dang proud.
Motherhood was the best thing I've ever done.
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment